Starring Chris Cooper, James Earl Jones, Mary McDonnell, Will Oldham, David Strathairn and Ken Jenkins, "Matewan" is a Drama/History film directed by John Sayles, released in the USA on August 28 of 1987.
It takes more than guns to kill a man
Who directed "Matewan":
Matewan was directed by John Sayles, an American writer, actor, director, and producer.
Before directing Matewan, John Sayles had directed The Brother from Another Planet, released in 1984, Baby It's You (1983), Lianna (1983), Return of the Secaucus Seven (1980). Since, he directed Eight Men Out, released in 1988, City of Hope (1991), Passion Fish (1992), The Secret of Roan Inish (1994), Men with Guns (1997), and Limbo (1999).
When was "Matewan" released:
Matewan was first released in the United States on Friday, August 28, 1987. Also released on Friday, August 28, 1987 have been End of the Line (dir. Jay Russell), The Fourth Protocol (dir. John Mackenzie), Hamburger Hill (dir. John Irvin), and House II: The Second Story (dir. Ethan Wiley). This was thirty-one (31) years ago.
What is the cast of "Matewan":
At the casting of Matewan we find Chris Cooper (Guilty by Suspicion (1991), Thousand Pieces of Gold (1991)); James Earl Jones (Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1987), Gardens of Stone (1987)); Mary McDonnell (Garbo Talks (1984)) [ more... ]
- Tom Wright and Chris Cooper, David Strathairn, Kevin Tighe, John Sayles, Josh Mostel, Jace Alexander, Joe Grifasi, Maggie Renzi also worked together in City of Hope, released in 1991.
- Michael B. Preston and David Strathairn, Gordon Clapp, Kevin Tighe, John Sayles, Jace Alexander, Maggie Renzi also worked together in Eight Men Out, released in 1988.
- Mary McDonnell, David Strathairn, John Sayles, Nancy Mette, Maggie Renzi and Tom Wright also worked together in Passion Fish, released in 1992.
- Tom Wright and David Strathairn, John Sayles, Josh Mostel, Maggie Renzi can be seen in The Brother from Another Planet, released in 1984.
- Maggie Renzi and David Strathairn, Gordon Clapp, John Sayles, Nancy Mette also worked together in Return of the Secaucus Seven, released in 1980.
- Maggie Renzi and John Sayles, Nancy Mette, Jo Henderson can all be seen in Lianna, released in 1983.
- David Strathairn and James Earl Jones, Mary McDonnell can all be seen in Sneakers, released in 1992.
What is the Storyline of "Matewan":
It was 1920 in the southwest West Virginia coal fields, and, as the narrator recalls, "things were tough." In response to efforts by miners to organize into a labor union, the Stone Mountain Coal Company announces it will cut the pay miners receive, and will be importing replacement workers into town to replace those who join the union. The new workers are African Americans from Alabama and are coming in on the train, but the train is stopped outside town and the black men are told to get off. Derided as [...]
No message has yet been posted about Matewan.
Start a Topic
Resources: Cinecom Entertainment Group, Film Gallery, Goldcrest Films International, Red Dog Films, Wikipedia and contributions from movie fans. Anyone can submit additionnal information and corrections, you can post a message into the forum, or you can contact me by e-mail. Information and materials are submitted by users and thus may not always contain up-to-date and correct information, so do not hesite to report mistakes, and submit corrections.Thank you!. Direct editing is no longer available, sorry.